Indeed, doing floors is hard. It took Steve and our handy friend Todd 5 hours of straight hunched over hammer ripping, ear spliting, wrenching and sweating to lift up the 5 layers of flooring that were on top of the original pine plank sub-floor.
I think I pulled up about a million nails.
There was some repair work needed on a few of the boards. We found someone who sold old flooring, and although overpriced, they matched up pretty well. Steve replaced a few of the pieces that were rotting, and filled in the multiple holes.
And then on to the sanding.
We rented the heavy duty sander from the Depots. It is a super “heavy duty” sander meant for taking off paint and old varnish, and it’s a scary beast of a machine. The box in the photo is filled with how much sandpaper it took to sand our floors down. The sanding dust filled up nearly 3/4 of a garbage bag.